1. Your dog can run off after hearing a loud noise. Such as a car backfiring. Thus scaring your dog enough for them to run and get lost.
2. To prevent your dog from jumping up and knocking down the disabled, elderly or small child. You never know how bad someone can get hurt when they get knocked down by a dog of any size.
3. A big dog running up to someone they don’t know can scare someone because of their size. Some people have a fear of big and large size dogs. No reasons why both of you can’t enjoy the same sidewalk together.
4. Your dog could do something natural – Chase wildlife. Your dog needs to be taught when he or she is out with a walk with you. They need to focus on the walk. Not chasing wildlife.
5. Some dogs hates cats so much. They will chase and kill them. When the cat gets away. Or runs up a tree. The dog is disoriented and has no clue where the dog is at. Causing him to get lost.
6. Running off leash can cause your dog to run out into the road and get hit by a car. With a leash, you stop your dog before darting out in to the road.
7. A dog running up to other dogs on a leash and get in to their faces, can and has caused fights in aggressive dogs. Never allow your dog to run up to another without knowing they are aggressive or not. Having them on a leash you can test their reaction, and body movement out before allowing them to meet. If an aggressive sign pops up. You can easily steer your dog away with the leash. Avoiding a bad situation.
8. Depending where you live. Your dog can be shot for being off leash by police officers. It recently happened in Colorado. Check your local laws to see if a dog is required to be on leash. Otherwise you can get a ticket. Or worse your dog can be killed.
9. Off leash your dog can get in to some dangerous stuff, eat it and can get very sick. Getting you a vet bill. Or worse. You burying your pet.
Photos from Pixabay, a free use photo sharing website